William Clarke is a veteran practitioner having provided counsel to international, national, and local businesses and individual clients for more than thirty years. Mr. Clarke has worked with numerous Arizona business families in estate planning, general business matters (including business succession planning), corporate transactions (including the sale and purchase of businesses), and real estate transactions.
Mr. Clarke has represented clients in contested probate matters. He has represented surviving spouses and heirs in estate disputes with family members over the allocation of assets.
Mr. Clarke has provided counsel to numerous clients seeking Guardianships and Conservatorships.
- On several occasions, has represented investors (including an international golf course management company) in the acquisition of interests in elite golf courses (2005-2011)
- Represented an Arizona business in the sale of specific investment research product lines to a regional investment firm (2011)
- Represented an Arizona family business (with operations in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas and Idaho) in a transaction with an international Fortune 50 company in acquisition of distribution assets and facilities for the entire State of California, including obtaining a $100 Million loan from a syndicate of two major West Coast banks (2009-2010)
- Represented an Arizona family oil distribution business (with operations in Arizona, New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado and Texas) in a transaction with a national oil distributor and real estate investment fund for the sale of the business and associated real estate, with a total purchase price of approximately $50 Million (2006-2007)
- For more than ten years, served as Arizona counsel for an international bank, headquartered in London, working through a retained loan/investment pool in excess of $450 Million (1988-2000)
- Represents Arizona businesses in securing complex loan arrangements from various lending institutions
- On numerous occasions, has represented closely held businesses in sales or mergers of their operations with national firms
- Provides legal counsel and tax advice to a variety of clients, with businesses of varying sizes, concerning business succession planning
- Provides legal counsel and tax advice to clients, with assets in varying amounts, in creating individual estate plans that optimize financial and personal situations
- Represents clients in contested probate matters. Mr. Clarke has represented surviving spouses and heirs in estate disputes with family members over the allocation of assets
Phoenix Swim Club, Inc.
Ex-Officio Member, Board of Directors (2008-present)
Serving as both chairman and co-chairman, Mr. Clarke organized and managed three successful Madison School District bond and override election campaigns, 1992-2003
Financial Oversight Committee, Madison School District (1992-2002)
Member, Men's Arts Council, Phoenix Art Museum (1981-1990)
Honors, Appointments and Awards
State Bar of Arizona
Kansas Bar Association
Central Arizona Estate Planning Council
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- U.S. Tax Court
- U.S. District Court, District of Kansas , Inactive
J.D., University of Arizona, 1980
B.S., University of Kansas, Business Administration and Accounting, 1977
NCAA All America (Tennis), 1977
NCAA Post Graduate Scholar, 1977